Cover photo for John  David Frye's Obituary
John  David Frye Profile Photo
1948 John 2018

John David Frye

May 6, 1948 — August 19, 2018

Hard working, dedicated and committed are just a few of the words used to describe the man, John Frye. He was committed to always be there and provide for his family with anything they might have needed.He instilled the values and work ethics that his legacy lives on with his family. Life brought many challenges for him, but he was able to overcome them to become the loving husband, father and grandfather to his family.

With WWII ending a few years prior, 1948 still saw a high demand of consumer goods and housing in the United States. The first pre-fabricated post war housing started to appear to solve the housing shortages to enable the baby boom after the war years by providing young couples with a home to start their family. NASCAR held their first race for modified stock cars in Daytona Beach, Florida and the game, Scrabble was introduced. The year also welcomed the youngest child of Forrest "Bud" and Mary Alice (Ulmer) Frye. John David Frye was born on May 6, 1948 in Bluffton, Indiana.

He grew up in Bluffton before John's father moved the family to the rural southern countryside of Whitley County when he was in the 5th grade. While in his senior year at Columbia City Joint High School, John met a sophomore by the name of Terry Lynn Rock and would fall in love with her. They enjoyed playing miniature golf in North Webster, dancing, and going to the drive-in theaters. Also during his senior year, he started his apprenticeship for Tool and Die Making. John graduated with the Class of 1966 and went on to get his Journeyman's Card. On September 30, 1967, the young couple married at the church she was a member of, St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church in Columbia City.

The newlyweds spent seven years living in South Whitley before making Columbia City their permanent residence. John and Terry would welcome two children into their home over the next few years, Angela and David. He was a Tool and Die Maker at Whitley Products in Pierceton, International Harvester in Ft. Wayne for 9 years, C&A Tool in Churubusco for 5 years, Columbia Die & Mold for over 10 years and retired from Medtronics, Warsaw in 2013.

As the children grew up, he always made sure they had what they needed. As David began to play baseball, John began coaching him and even coached a year for his daughter's team. John found relaxation in going fishing, watching NASCAR and college sports. Through a co-worker who took John and Terry to a Notre Dame football game, John became a die-hard Notre Dame fan. He would get discouraged if they were losing a game and it was not uncommon for him to just turn the TV off and later find out that the game turned around and Notre Dame won. His love for the team was infectious and the reason why the Frye family all became fans before his son ever attended there.

After moving to Eagle Glen, John enjoyed walking around the golf course and collecting unclaimed/un- found golf balls. He took great pride in the association where he lived and became a board member. John was a fix it man and could fix anything and make it work again. From cars all the way to furniture, if it did not work the way it was designed for, John could fix it or modify it. When his wife's lift chair would go beyond what she needed it to, John put a switch in that limited the travel. If a family member's car broke down, he knew how to fix it. He built doll house for his grandchildren and even a bed for a grandson. Even at one of his houses, he finished the stone front and built the house's fireplace.

Out of all things, John truly loved all his family in his own way. He never would miss a family sporting event and if he was not coaching in an official status, he was coaching from the stands and you could always hear him cheering his family on. He was a father figure to two of his older grandchildren, Rachel and Landan. When Terry developed and battled multiple sclerosis later in life, John was right there to take care of her and learned a new kind of patience as her health declined and she faced more complications. If any of them needed anything, John was there. He was also a dog lover and even though he no longer had his own dogs, he sure loved his grandpups along with his neighbor and friend's dog.

John did not have to adventure too far away from home to be happy. He and Terry enjoyed their yearly trips to the Indy 500 and going to the casinos. He was a Ford guy, always owning Fords and admired the Mustang and his own 1967 Mustang. He was a member of the St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church, Jaycee's and Chairman of Jr. Miss Pageant. With his wife being at Miller's at Oak Point, John volunteered with the activities department and would lend his to time from cooking out or driving residents and supplies for an afternoon of fishing.

John's world changed forever when the love of his life passed away on April 12, 2016 and his family's lives changed once again on the afternoon of Sunday, August 19, 2018 when they learned the news that he passed away.

John David Frye, 70, of Columbia City, Indiana, passed away unexpectedly Sunday, August 19, 2018 at his home. Survivors include his daughter, Angie Shoda, of Fort Wayne; son, Dave (Heather) Frye, of Naples, Fla.; grandchildren, Josh, Jenny, Rachel, Jessica, Landan, Lucas, Tim, Ellie, Natalie; great-grandchildren, Gabe, Eli, Jadyn, Joseph, RJ, Reese, Romeo, Jackson, Rolande and Sophia; sister, Phyllis Yeatts of Warren, MI; brothers, Richard (Ardonna) Frye, of Punta Gorda, Fla., Larry (Diana) Frye, of Rochester, Roger (Sharon) Frye, of Trion, Ga. and Steve (Mary Lou) Frye, of Bryant; and father-in-law, Kenneth (Joan) Rock, of Columbia City. He was preceded in death by his parents and wife, Terry Frye in 2016; mother-in-law, Wanda Lou Rock; and brother-in-law, John Yeatts.

Visitation is 3-8 p.m. Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at DeMoney-Grimes, a Life Story Funeral Home, 600 Countryside Drive, Columbia City with a Rosary at 2:45 p.m. Mass of Christian Burial will be 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church, 315 S Line St, Columbia City with visitation one hour prior. Father Gary Sigler will be officiating. Burial will follow at St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Cemetery, where he will be laid to rest beside his wife. Memorial donations may be made in his memory to Masses or the American Diabetes Association. To send his family online condolences, visit .


DeMoney-Grimes a Life Story Funeral Home
600 Countryside Drive Columbia City, Indiana 46725

3:00 PM - 8:00 PM


St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church
315 S. Line Street Columbia City, Indiana 46725

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM


St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church
315 S. Line Street Columbia City, Indiana 46725

10:00 AM
To order memorial trees or send flowers to the family in memory of John David Frye, please visit our flower store.


Photo Gallery

Visits: 1

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the
Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Service map data © OpenStreetMap contributors

Send Flowers

Send Flowers

Plant A Tree

Plant A Tree