Cover photo for Tyler Yoder's Obituary
Tyler Yoder Profile Photo
1985 Tyler 2023

Tyler Yoder

June 24, 1985 — April 7, 2023

Compassionate, giving and great sense of humor were just a few words to describe Tyler Yoder. When Tyler was around, you knew it because you could hear him talking.  Tyler’s talking voice was most individuals yelling voice, but it was something to love about him.  You never had to worry about not hearing what he was saying.  Tyler was not a quiet person but never had issues conversing with anyone as he never knew a stranger!  He could strike up an hour-long conversation with anyone, even a random stranger walking down the street by simply calling out to them with a loud and energetic greeting.  With Tyler, you always wondered if he knew the person because from anyone else’s point of view, it looked as if he had run into an old friend and they were catching up.  Long story short, if you were running into the local Wal-Mart with Tyler, you always knew it wouldn’t be a quick trip.  He was funny and he was outgoing.  He was truly the life of the party and could bust out his signature dance moves to about any beat.  For anyone to attempt to demonstrate these iconic Tyler dance moves would be a futile attempt as only Tyler could pull them off.  One included a random skipping motion with his feet while his arms were extended out in from of him while simultaneously clapping.  The other being a little shimmy while holding his fist out in from of him and rocking his fists in an upward motion.  While he wasn’t a professional dancer by any means, he knew how to own the dance floor.  Out of all things though, Tyler loved spending time with his family, especially his girls.

Born June 24, 1985 in Warsaw, he was the son of Douglas E. Yoder and Julie A. (Blakley) Shoda.  Even from a young age, Tyler knew he was the man in charge.  When he was around two years old, he would point his finger and say, “I’ll tell you one sing guys, I’m da boss around here!”  This commanding nature never changed as he grew up.  Growing up in rural Whitley County near Larwill, Tyler had a love for the outdoors.  Tyler had a knack for fixing and modifying bicycles.  In the neighborhood, he was the person to see for any bike fixes.  Some even would comment that he should open his own bike shop when he was older.  He loved roller blading with his siblings around the neighborhood and on Friday nights he could be found at Happy Valley Skating Rink doing the exact same thing.  He enjoyed playing baseball with his friends and played football in middle school.  One night during a football game, Tyler was injured and at just the right moment when the stands had quieted, you could hear Tyler yell out, “I think I broke my butt!”  In fact, he technically had as he had injured his tail bone.  Regarding being injured, if anyone was going to bet money on which sibling would be injured during even the most innocent of games, it would be Tyler.  To say he was clumsy isn’t accurate, instead he seemed to attract the injuries as if he were a magnet to them.  Even taking a hockey stick to the forehead by his sister Darci during an innocent game of hockey.  Another time, when the whole family traveled to the Huntington Drive-In to enjoy a movie.  Unfortunately, Tyler’s magnet to injuries had other thoughts in mind.  While playing on the monkey bars, he broke his arm before the movie even started.  Maybe he just was always in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Tyler was ambitious and was an extremely hard worker.  This started out at a very young age when he started a paper route.  There were many early Saturday mornings that he was out on his bicycle delivering newspapers.  He even would haul a wagon behind him and take a young neighbor along as he loved going with Tyler and helping deliver the newspapers.

If you ever asked Tyler what his favorite food was, he probably would never have the same answer.  He was truly a human garbage disposal as he could eat anything, even if he found the taste revolting.  For instance, what seemed like weeks after his sister’s wedding, he was still eating the leftover food from the reception.  As some would recall, he would even say that the food tasted horrible but, while most would stop eating, Tyler would clear his plate and might even go back for seconds.  Tyler would eat anything that wouldn’t eat him.  His favorite condiment was hot sauce, covering nearly every dish in it.  He enjoyed movies.  Mainly so he could take a nap as he was most always asleep within 30 minutes of the movie, snoring away.  Again, while he could break it down to about any beat, his favorite music was country.  No matter what the genre of music, his two signature dance moves would always be on display.

Tyler went on to graduate from Columbia City High School with the Class of 2004. By the time he was in high school, Tyler worked various jobs including Jerry's Tire Service, McDonalds, and helped set up for auctions. For several years, he worked for Wise Property Management mowing and doing snow removal, and for the past 10 years worked and traveled throughout North America with L.B. Foster Company.

Tyler loved animals specifically dogs.  Every dog he encountered, were instantly drawn to him.  Even when his younger brother and mom found an abandoned Dalmatian, Caleb, along his paper route.  Caleb instantly took a liking to Tyler and from day one, he was always Tyler’s dog.  He would continually have canine friends as the years went on including Jake, a rambunctious Labrador.  In most recent years, Ashley and he fostered dogs to help them find a forever home.  Once again, showing that his heart had a very special place for man’s best friend.

The true joy of Tyler’s life were his three girls.  In 2007 at the constant request of his parents to all his adult siblings and himself, to start “popping out some grandkids”, he won the race and made his parents first time grandparents with Maryah and the birth of Lydia Jade, who he would always call LJ.  Then in 2009, Kylee was born completing the trio.  Maryah, Lydia, and Kylee were the reason for him to get up every morning.  Everything he did, he did it for them.  With each of his daughters, he would toss them in the air, making them laugh uncontrollably, sometimes to nerve-racking heights but each time he would catch them safely.  Some would say Lydia was Tyler’s shadow going wherever he would go.  While visiting the Smithsonian Zoo in Washington DC, Tyler went back to the car to get Kylee some more film for her camera.  As everyone was leaving the elephant exhibit, no one saw Lydia.  Ashley asked all the kids if she went with Tyler and they replied, “She’s always with Tyler” so they moved on assuming this time was no different.  When Tyler returned Lydia wasn’t with Tyler, which shocked everyone, and after contacting security Lydia was found safe at guest services.  With a love for his daughters, he enjoyed watching them in anything they were involved with, including going to softball games, dancing, bowling, and cheerleading. He loved the summertime where he could sit around a campfire with family and friends, grilling, playing corn hole and swimming.

Tyler cared for everyone and always wanted to be there when he was needed.  If he couldn’t be, it truly bothered him, especially when it came to his fiancée Ashley.  One evening Ashley and a friend traveled to a friend’s grave in Kimmel.  Tyler was currently four hours away, driving back home after having unloaded a train.  When they went to leave the cemetery, the vehicle they were driving wouldn’t go into gear.  Ashely immediately called Tyler and his first words were, “Why do you go so far away from the house when I’m out of town?”  Ashley was offended at first as she was only twenty miles from home and a full-grown adult.  Tyler’s reaction was not to be chauvinist, but instead it was his reaction to his inability to be there for Ashley in her time of need.  To him, that was his purpose, to protect those he loved and always be there for them in their time of need.  Tyler had his sister Whitney head that way to sit with them (to ensure they were safe) and he sent out his friend Brent to fix the car.  Tyler never stopped worrying about Ashley, the kids, for that matter, his entire family.  To say he cared and loved for those most dear to him would be an understatement.

Tyler was a loud and rough around the edges kind of guy, but in truth, he was a big teddy bear at heart.  He made friends with everyone he met and would give you the shirt off his back if he knew it would help you.  Tyler made the decision years ago to be a donor and after he took his last breath, he continued to help those in need by donating his corneas.  He loved with all his being and lived for his family.  After his sister Whitney passed, Tyler organized the annual lantern lighting on her birthday, feeling it was his duty to pay tribute to his sister’s memory.  Tyler will be missed by all, even those that were only in his presence for a short while.  He left an impression on everyone he spoke to.  Knowing that he talked to everyone, we can all assume he left an impression on thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people.

On Friday evening, April 7, 2023, Tyler Douglas Yoder, 37, of Columbia City, Indiana, passed away at Parkview Regional Medical Center surrounded by his loving family. He is survived by his daughters, Maryah Fulk, Lydia Yoder and Kylee Yoder; granddaughter, Ila; parents, Douglas (Becky Nibert) Yoder and Julie and Mike Shoda;  fiancée, Ashley Anderson and her children, Kaden Ward, Kiah Ward, Mylie Ward and Endra Ward; siblings, Brenna Yoder, Trevor (Lauren) Shoda, Erin (Dustin) Dellinger, Darci (Trevor) Groves and Trenton (Alyssa) Shoda; grandparents, Doris Yoder, John Blakley, Paul and P.J. Shoda; and 12 nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Leslie Yoder, Martha Blakley and Janet Shoda; and sister, Whitney Shoda.

Visitation will be 12 to 8 pm, Thursday, April 13, 2023 at DeMoney-Grimes Funeral Home, 600 Countryside Drive, Columbia City. Funeral services will be 10 am Friday at the funeral home with Pastor Shane Wilson and Pastor Luther Yoder officiating. Burial will take place at Greenhill Cemetery where he will be laid to rest beside his sister. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made toward his final expenses, in care of DeMoney-Grimes. Visit to send Tyler's family online condolences or sign the online guest book.

To order memorial trees or send flowers to the family in memory of Tyler Yoder, please visit our flower store.

Service Schedule

Past Services


Thursday, April 13, 2023

12:00 - 8:00 pm (Eastern time)

Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.

Funeral Service

Friday, April 14, 2023

Starts at 10:00 am (Eastern time)

Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.


Photo Gallery

Visits: 167

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the
Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Service map data © OpenStreetMap contributors

Send Flowers

Send Flowers

Plant A Tree

Plant A Tree